Ponderous Podium is a great drama cool down game that is both physical and calming. The physical aspect helps students work on balance, stability, and detail while the slowness of the movement helps students to relax. It’s both an effective cool down and introduction to precision and patience.
- Have the students stand in a line at one end of the room.
- Mark a finish line near the opposite end of the room.
- On signal, the students must start racing towards the finish line.
- The LAST person to cross the finish line is the winner.
- Students must move in slow motion.
- Don’t be afraid to disqualify students who are shuffling instead of moving in slow motion or who are trying to move backward.
- After each race, try a different sport, e.g. swimming or cycling. A slow-motion team relay can really get students thinking.
Tip: Give extra awards for things like best facial expression to help develop reactions.