In the first week of Silly Fish Learning’s first birthday month, we’re looking at a classic party game. Musical Statues is a fan favorite at parties, but is also a useful classroom tool to burn energy and help children focus.
- Have the children find a dance space in the room.
- When the music plays, the children must dance.
- When the music stops, they must freeze like a statue.
- If you see a child moving when there is no music playing, they are eliminated.
- Keep going until only one child remains.
- For an extra challenge, pick a theme for the statues (e.g. animals) or ask the children to dance a certain way (e.g. ballet).
If you’re a drama teacher, Musical Marks is a great directing tool developed from this game.