Party Quirks is a great introduction to the principles of improvisation for slightly older students.
- Choose one student to be the host and ask them to leave the room.
- Choose other actors to be the guests.
- Each guest should have a quirk, e.g. is afraid of the colour pink/can only speak using song lyrics/is really a dog.
- The guests improvise a party scene and the host returns and must figure out what each guest’s quirk is.
- Once the host guesses correctly the guest must leave the party.
Top tips: Try to get the actors to consider the dynamics of the scene. Where is the audience? Where do they want the attention to be? Are they blocking anyone? Are they upstaging anyone?