We learned this fantastic game from Prague Youth Theatre‘s new Assistant Artistic Director, Liam Hallahan, and it quickly became a fan favourite with all ages!
- Ask the students to sit or lie on their stomachs in a circle.
- Students should place their hands in the circle with their palms on the floor.
- Choose one student to begin the game by slapping the floor with the palm of their hand.
- The slap is passed around the circle in one direction from one hand to the next.
- If a student begins with their left hand it passes to their right hand and then to the left hand of the student on their right and so on.
- If a student slaps the floor twice with one hand, the direction that the slap is traveling changes.
- If a student uses the wrong hand to slap the floor or slaps the floor when they shouldn’t (i.e. after the direction has changed) they lose the mistaken hand and must continue to play one-handed.
- If the player makes a mistake when only one hand is in play they are eliminated from the game.
Top tip: Have the students cross arms to increase difficulty. The slap passes from the student’s left hand to the right hand of the player on their left, to the left hand of the player on their right, to their own right hand and so on. Have the students demonstrate this while reading the instructions to ensure everyone understands the order.