Speed Whispers helps focus children while they’re working in a team and can create a great sense of camaraderie. It also has the added bonus of improving diction and is an incredibly effective TEFL/TESOL game. Use this game for vocal practice or as a cooldown.
- Divide the students into two equal teams.
- Sit the teams in parallel lines facing the teacher.
- The last member of each team should have their back to the wall furthest away from the teacher.
- the first member of each team comes forward to the teacher who whispers the same phrase or sentence to each child.
- On cue, these two students must whisper the phrase to the next person in the line.
- The phrase is passed down the line until it reaches the person at the back.
- No member of the line can be skipped and only the person directly ahead of them can pass on the message.
- The final member of the team must run to the teacher and whisper the phrase.
- The team who reaches the teacher first receives one point.
- The team who repeat the phrase most accurately get two points (accuracy is more important than speed).
- Make a note of the score and then continue.
- The person who has just run to whisper to the teacher remains at the front to receive the next phrase.
- All other students must shuffle back.
- The final person must have their back to the wall to ensure both teams have an equal distance to reach the teacher.
- Continue until all teams members have started and finished the line.
Top tip: Give a theme to all phrases e.g. lines from Shakespeare plays and give 10 bonus points to whichever team can reach you first with the correct answer.