Updated from the post originally published on 1st June 2017.
Beans is a classic drama game that’s great to use as a warm up to get the group energised. Suitable for and popular with all ages! It can safely be played while social distancing or virtually (with no adjustments for the latter).
|Try to keep your students two metres apart. Try marking a space on the floor to ensure they achieve this.|
When the teacher shouts out the name of a bean the students should demonstrate the action as follows:
- String beans – stretch up as high as you can.
- Broad beans – make yourself as wide as you can.
- Runner beans – run on the spot.
- Jumping beans – jump on the spot.
- Jelly beans – shake your whole body like jelly.
- Baked beans – wipe your brow and say, ‘Phew!’.
- Beans on toast – lie flat on the floor.
- Chilli beans – shiver as though you are very cold.
- Mr. Bean – shrug your shoulders and make a confused face.
- Beanie Baby – suck on your thumb.
- Human beans – exclaim, ‘To bean or not to bean!’
- Bean bags – huddle in a ball on the floor.
It’s nice to let the students add their own beans to the list, my students are a fan of French bean (Ooh la la!), disco bean and of course…farting bean.
With older students it can also be good to add eliminations for those who do the wrong action. This can really raise energy and focus.
With younger students you will probably have to play too so don’t be afraid to look silly! Keep the list a little shorter for the first few weeks and introduce new beans gradually.
If your class are getting bored of the same old beans, try Space Beans instead!
Top tip: If the class are getting a little too crazy shout ‘beans on toast’ and take a few seconds longer to think about the next bean. These few seconds of lying still can really bring the energy level back down, especially with younger kids.
This activity is part of our ‘A Day at the Zoo’ drama lesson plan for ages 3-6. Available to UK readers and USA readers.
Need help keeping your students socially distant? Try marking a space using the following:
If you purchase any of these products, we may get a small commission. It doesn’t change the price for you but it helps us keep the lights on.