After the fun of making paper chain snakes at summer camp in Croatia, we decided to stick to the snake theme with our latest drama game.
This fun energiser is popular with preschool students but care is needed to keep the atmosphere light as very young students can become frightened.
Once the right atmosphere is established, students will request this game again and again. Often the adults will tire of this game (even physically) before the students.
- Ask students to find a space to stand around the room.
- One person must lie on their belly like a snake.
- When specified, students can run around the room.
- The snake must slither on their belly and try to catch the running people.
- Any student who the snake touches also becomes a snake and must slither around trying to catch those remaining upright.
- The last person standing is the winner of the round.
- Ask the students to think about their facial expressions and how they can clearly show their snake to turn this into a basic characterisation exercise.
- With preschool students it is best that the teacher begins as the snake to create a greater understanding and feeling of safety.
- In some spaces it can be worth asking the students to pass from one side of the room to the other instead of giving them free roam.