Ponderous Podium is a great drama cool down game that is both physical and calming. The physical aspect helps students work on balance, stability, and detail while the slowness of the movement helps students to relax. It’s both an effective cool down and introduction to precision and patience. This game can even be played while social distancing!
|To ensure the children are socially distant, place them two metres apart at the start of the race. Younger students may need a line marking on the floor to follow to ensure they are not venturing into each other’s space.|
- Have the students stand in a line at one end of the room.
- Mark a finish line near the opposite end of the room.
- On signal, the students must start racing towards the finish line.
- The LAST person to cross the finish line is the winner.
- Students must move in slow motion.
- Don’t be afraid to disqualify students who are shuffling instead of moving in slow motion or who are trying to move backward.
- After each race, try a different sport, e.g. swimming or cycling. A slow-motion team relay can really get students thinking.
Tip: Give extra awards for things like best facial expression to help develop reactions.
Need help keeping your students socially distant? Try marking a space using the following:
If you purchase any of these products, we may get a small commission. It doesn’t change the price for you but it helps us keep the lights on.