Grandma’s Footsteps is a classic drama game that’s great to cool down and focus your class.
- Choose one student to be the grandma (or grandpa).
- The grandma stands at one end of the room facing away from the group.
- The rest of the students must stand at the other side of the room.
- When the grandma has her back turned, the other students can creep towards her and try to tap her on the shoulder.
- The grandma can turn around at any time and the students must freeze.
- If the grandma sees anyone moving, the student in question must return to the start.
- The first student to tap grandma on the shoulder is the winner and becomes grandma or grandpa in the next round.
Top tip: For an added bonus, ask the students to freeze in a certain pose, e.g. like a ballerina, every time grandma turns to face them. This develops their quick thinking, improvisation, characterisation and physical theatre skills.